Yesterday, we went live with an exciting new ‘Labs’ project for 3ds Max/Design 2010 + 2011.
Point Clouds have appeared in many recent customer conversations, therefore, this should be a welcome addition to 3ds Max's already powerful toolset. Particularly around architectural retrofits, and games environment reconstructions.
The video on the labs link (below) will provide more details, should you not be familiar with this way of working.
This toolset allows:
1. Import .PTS format point cloud data into 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design scenes (release 2010 & 2011)
2. Display the point cloud data in the 3ds Max viewport with a variety of rendering options and levels of detail
3. Render point clouds using the mental ray rendering option
4. Slice point clouds into pieces using geometric display volumes
5. Export multiple clouds or parts of clouds to a new .PTS files
Please see this link for further information. (Registration required for download)